Words have the power to uplift, heal, and help you. Ever recollected the words of encouragement that helped you during times of distress?
Despite all this, a lot of us still think that affirmations are childish and ineffective. But my friends, affirmations are more powerful than you know. Remember all the positive words that gave you strength? In this article, I will walk you through the basics of practicing affirmations.
What do affirmations do?
Affirmations challenge thoughts that trigger negative feelings. As people repeat affirmations, it triggers positive mental images that transform behavior for the better. They motivate you during times of distress. When you feel insecure, try saying to yourself that ‘I am enough. With repeated affirmations, you tap into the power of your subconscious mind. As a result, you befriend your mind and counter your negative thoughts with positive ones. By reducing negativity, affirmations transform your inner world.
The science behind affirmations
With practice, affirmations will make you believe that the imagined is real. Let me explain this idea using a real-life example. Before a job interview, if you use an affirmation like ‘I am well prepared, your mind will consider this affirmation to be a fact. As a result, you behave as if you are well-prepared for your interview. Even psychological theories about self-affirmation conclude that if there is a perceived threat to one’s self-competence, one can use affirmations to rebuild self-competence.
When is the best time to practice affirmations?
The key is to remain consistent. I suggest that you set a daily routine to practice affirmations. Reinforcement helps
Using affirmations in the morning sets the tone for the day. Isn’t it nice if you begin the day with a lot of positivity? This sort of positive attitude will improve your work life too. While going to bed, practice the second set of affirmations. This will ensure that you have positive thoughts before falling asleep. Yes, both mornings and nights are great for practice. However, if you are busy, you can be flexible with the timings.
Tips for beginners to affirmations
1. First and foremost, avoid picking too many affirmations. Focus on a limited set.
2. Practice this set of affirmations every day.
3. Stick to these affirmations for a long time, say 30 days.
If you are a beginner, you can go through this list
– Life is beautiful
– I love myself
– I choose happiness
– I am strong; I can do this
– I am a fantastic person
Should I design my affirmations?
If you want to achieve something, you can design specific affirmations in the following ways.
- Pause and reflect on your life. Bring your attention to areas in life where you need change. For instance, do you wish you were more productive at work? Do you think you should be calm? Do you want to be punctual at your workplace? Create affirmations based on the changes you wish to see in your life.
- Make sure that you create credible and achievable affirmations. For instance, if you want to improve your productivity at work, create affirmations like ‘I am here to do my best. Avoid making affirmations like ‘I will work for 12 hours, etc. While making affirmations, be realistic.
- Making a list of criticisms that have been pulling you back. To the list, add negative thoughts that bother you. Take note of the negatives and turn them into positives.
- Say affirmations in the present tense. For instance, use affirmations like ‘I am confident, ‘I am well-prepared, etc. By using affirmations in the present tense, you will feel that your desires have attained reality.
- Speak the affirmations out aloud with feelings. Affirmations are the most effective when you say them with a lot of emotion. Once you give emotional weight to words, you automatically initiate positive life changes. For creating effective statements, I suggest you pick up a dictionary and find powerful words.
Affirmations are positive statements that boost your self-esteem, motivation, and energy levels. They encourage significant transformations in life, but knowing when and how to use them is the trick.